About CIM | Chartered Managers Canada's Manitoba Chapter
We acknowledge that we are in Treaty 1 Territory and that the land on which we gather is the traditional territory of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene Peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
History of the Canadian Institute of Management in Manitoba
Our history in Manitoba dates back to October 8, 1964 when nine visionary leaders established the Canadian Industrial Management Association (Manitoba Division) incorporated in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The name changed in 1970 at the National Conference in Winnipeg to become the Canadian Institute of Management.
These nine visionary leaders became the first Manitoba board members:
- Martin James Anthony Lyons - Works Manager
- Donald Harvey Jackman - Accountant
- George Elwyn Douglas - Accountant
- Serge Edward DeConinck - Accountant
- Timothy Ryan - Professor
- William John Antiliff Bullman - Manager
- Charles Leslie Hill - Manager
- George Hugh Boucher - Manager
- Douglas Godfrey Renton - Purchasing Agent
Since 1964, the Winnipeg Chapter has been very successful:
- Over 3,400 individuals have received the Certified in Management designation in Manitoba.
- Manitoba continues to be the largest chapter of CIM | Chartered Managers in Canada.
- Early on, we partnered with the University of Manitoba - Extended Education as an education partner, with the first class graduating in 1966.
- In October 2014, the Winnipeg Chapter celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a Gala Dinner.
- The Winnipeg Chapter has hosted six National Conferences: in 1970, 1982, 1994, 2000, 2009 and 2018.
- As part of the Annual General Meeting on October 5th, 2016 the membership ratified a name change to better reflect the growth of CIM in Manitoba. The Winnipeg Chapter was renamed the Manitoba Chapter.
- Currently, CIM | Chartered Managers Canada has formal educational partnerships in Manitoba with the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg.
Throughout our history we have and continue to make significant contributions by having representation on the National Board of Directors. CIM in Manitoba continues to innovate and contribute to leading the development of the Canadian Institute of Management.
The CIM's Manitoba Chapter is currently the largest Chapter. It has always been active and a driving force behind National initiatives, and has provided both National Presidents and Directors. Manitoba is equally strong in both education and program events, to provide members with a full range of options to maximize their CIM membership experience.
CIM | Chartered Managers Canada Education Partnerships in Manitoba
The Manitoba Chapter of CIM | Chartered Managers Canada has continued to be a leader in management education and certification since its inception. They have spearheaded partnerships with both of the leading universities in Manitoba, the University of Manitoba, and the University of Winnipeg.
Through these partnerships, students and aspiring management professionals are able to earn their Certified in Management (C.I.M.) and Chartered Manager (C.Mgr.) designations through the completion of the following management programs.
- University of Manitoba Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies (BAIS)
- University of Manitoba School of Extended Education Certificate in Management and Administration
- University of Winnipeg Bachelor of Business and Administration
- University of Winnipeg School of Professional, Applied, and Continuing Education (PACE) Management Certificate
- University of Winnipeg School of Professional, Applied, and Continuing Education (PACE) Human Resource Management Diploma
If you are an aspiring manager in Manitoba who is looking for post-secondary programs to launch your career from, then we highly recommend any of these programs which, upon completion, will make you eligible for our professional management designations to help you get noticed and recognized internationally as a competent business leader!
Join The Manitoba Chapter of CIM | Chartered Managers Canada Today
Joining the Manitoba Chapter of CIM | Chartered Managers Canada means you will be joining the largest provincial network of management professionals in our organization! You will be able to take advantage of the many benefits that comes with a CIM membership including access to learning modules through ManagementDirect, white papers, case studies, and thought leadership pieces from fellow members, exclusive events and be eligible to hold our prestigious management designations. Register for your membership with CIM | Chartered Managers Canada today!
For further information on CIM in Manitoba, its programs, activities and membership, please contact us:
Canadian Institute of Management - Manitoba Chapter
#315-2345 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3J 0M7
Chapter Committee Members
Chapter Chair – Terry Penner, C.Mgr.
Past Chair – Steve Lupky, C.Mgr.
Manitoba is pleased to welcome members in the following categories:
- Associate Member
- Student (Accredited and non-Accredited)
For the Fee Schedule, click here.