Become a Chartered Manager (C.Mgr.)
Get Recognized With the World's Highest Achievement in Management and Leadership
Chartered Manager is the highest status that can be achieved in the management profession. C.Mgr. is a prestigious internationally recognized designation in management and leadership. A Chartered Manager has developed various competencies in leadership, strategy, finance, accounting, management operations and organizational analysis. With these competencies, Chartered Managers are able to confidently assess and address complex business situations that demonstrate their ability to lead, inspire and motivate their people to meet business goals.
CIM | Chartered Managers Canada has reciprocity agreements with the Chartered Management Institute in the UK and Institute of Certified Professional Managers in the US, so your designation can be used globally. With a Chartered Manager designation, the possibilities for your career are nearly limitless.
The Chartered Manager designation brings together rigorous business education with professional-level experience, setting you apart to contribute to Canada’s economic success. With the Chartered Manager designation, you will be recognized as a leading expert in business management and a true business leader.
Benefits of being a Chartered Manager
- Chartered status recognizes managers with exceptional management and leadership skills giving you the ultimate competitive advantage.
- You will join a community of high performing professional managers who are at the top of their game.
- Chartered Managers report increased self awareness and use their designation to stand out in the job market and develop their careers.
How Do You Qualify to Become a Chartered Manager?
There are two main routes to becoming a Chartered Manager depending on a mix of education and experience:
1) Do you hold an undergraduate or graduate degree in Business, Management or Commerce?
You can obtain your Chartered Manager designation after 48 months of professional-level management experience by successfully completing our Management Aptitude Evaluation (MAE).
2) Do you hold an undergraduate or graduate degree in any discipline?
In addition to 48 months of professional level management experience and successful completion of the Management Aptitude Evaluation (MAE), candidates will need to complete the eight-course Chartered Management Program (CMP). The program is offered at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies as well as Continuing Education courses at colleges and universities across Canada.
Not Sure If You Qualify?
You've read the requirements, but you're still not sure if you academic or professional experience qualifies you to receive our C.Mgr. designation? No problem! Contact us to review you current academic and professional achievements and we can advise you.
International Academic Requirements For The Chartered Manager (C.Mgr.) Designation
International Credential Assessment
Equivalent academic credentials from institutions outside of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the United Kingdom and United States can be assessed by referring to the following website for Educational Credential Assessment: www.canalliance.org
The Professional Review Committee (PRC) reserves the right to request an Educational Credential Assessment for any international credential.
A formal evaluation by one of the approved assessors is to be uploaded during the application process.
Don't Quite Meet the Requirements?
Interested in the Chartered Manager designation but only at the start of your management career?
You can obtain our Certified in Management (C.I.M.®) designation and get noticed right away in today's competitive job market. If you have any questions about which route is best for you, then contact us today for more information.
Review our map to becoming a Chartered Manager below and begin your journey to stand out with Canada's highest-level business management designation.
Ready To Take The Next Step?
C.MGR. REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL ROUTES:
Regardless of educational achievement or business management experience, all candidates for the Chartered Manager designation must meet the following requirements.
- Be a CIM Member in good standing
- Complete the online C.Mgr. Application (see bottom of this page)
- Upload three (3) professional reference letters
- Upload a detailed résumé outlining all academic and management experience aligning with the Chartered Manager Competency Framework (CMCF)
- Upload copies of academic certificates
- Upload transcripts for each academic qualification
- Upload International Credential Assessment (if applicable)
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics
- Complete and pass the online Management Aptitude Evaluation (MAE) [Not required if you already hold the C.I.M. designation]
- Pay all applicable fees. Application and MAE fees will be charged during your online application process. The remaining fees (registration and membership upgrade) will be automatically charged upon approval of the application.
Once the applicant receives their C.Mgr. designation, they are required to maintain current membership in good standing with the association and commit to Continuing Professional Development (CPD). CPD forms are available here: [PDF] [Word]. If your membership lapses, you may be required to re-apply and pay all associated fees with re-application.
Need help recording your CPD units? Click here
Core Academic Requirements for C.Mgr.
Your undergraduate or graduate degree in management must meet the equivalent academic requirements of the Chartered Management Program (CMP).
If you do not hold an undergraduate or graduate degree in management, or your degree does not meet the equivalent academic requirements of the Chartered Management Program, you will need to complete the courses outlined in the CMP.
Fees - Chartered Manager (C.Mgr.) Designation Application
The fees associated with becoming a Chartered Manager (C.Mgr.®) are listed below:
$50.00 ( plus tax) – Application fee
$150.00 (plus tax) – MAE fee* [this is waived if you already hold a C.I.M. designation)
$250.00 (plus tax) – Registration fee
* The MAE fee includes two attempts. If you pass on the first attempt, your designation will be issued immediately. If you are not successful on the first attempt, you may try again when you receive the link for a second attempt. A period of 30 days must elapse between your first two attempts and a further attempt.
$275.00 (plus tax) – Chartered Manager annual membership to be renewed each year on June 1st. If you have already paid your annual membership dues for the current year (either associate or C.I.M.), you will be charged the difference between membership levels to complete your application and renew at the full rate each year going forward.
Begin the Application Process
We're excited that you've decided to become a Chartered Manager! Please read the following instructions carefully to ensure your application process goes as smoothly as possible.
If you are ready to begin the application process for your C.Mgr. designation but are not an Associate Member of The Canadian Institute of Management, then you must apply for a membership before applying for the designation. Please click the button below on the right to apply to become an Associate Member with CIM. Once your membership has been verified, return to this page and click the button below on the left to start the C.Mgr. designation application.
If you are already an Associate Member with CIM, then please click the button below on the left to start your C.Mgr. application process. Keep this page bookmarked so you can refer back to the required documentation needed to complete the application process.
|I am already a Member or Associate Member||I need to apply as an Associate Member first|